The Soho Center for Mental Health Counseling
Psychotherapy Services located in New York City, NY
Psychotherapy is also known as talk therapy, an incredibly simple definition for techniques that improve the lives of those who suffer from mental health disorders or emotional difficulties. At the Soho Center for Mental Health Counseling, Anthony Freire, MA, LMHC, NCC, CCMHC, Kelley Hershman, LMHC, Kate Engstrom, LCSW, and the team are highly versed in the latest psychotherapies, offering patients in Greenwich Village of New York City long-lasting solutions for mental health issues. To learn more, call or use the online scheduling tool.
Psychotherapy Q & A
NOW ACCEPTING NEW PATIENTS FOR TELE-THERAPY VIA VIDEO/PHONE. CONFIDENTIAL AND AFFORDABLE. CALL US FOR AN APPOINTMENT. WE ARE HERE FOR YOU
What is psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy is a form of therapy that’s designed to help you regain control of your life if you’re suffering from a mental health disorder or emotional difficulty. The Soho Center for Mental Health Counseling & Clinical Supervision offers many different types of psychotherapy, including:
- Cognitive therapy: This type of therapy is designed to put an end to negative thinking patterns and replace them with more productive thoughts that help you function better.
- Interpersonal therapy: This is a more targeted form of psychotherapy in which your therapist works with you to help you understand how underlying issues, like unresolved grief, can have an impact on your life and your relationships.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT): Helpful for those who suffer from emotional dysregulation or bipolar disorder, DBT works by regulating your emotions and learning new coping skills.
- Psychodynamic therapy: This form of psychotherapy is based on the notion that early childhood experience may impact your behavior as an adult.
While these therapies represent the most commonly used, the mental health care providers at The Soho Center for Mental Health Counseling & Clinical Supervision are also trained in:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Compassion-focused therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Positive psychology
If you or a loved one is having trouble because of a mental health disorder or emotional problem, the odds are that psychotherapy can play a role in your ability to find a solution.
What can psychotherapy treat?
The team of dedicated mental health professionals turn to psychotherapy to treat a number of mental health disorders, including, but not limited to:
- Substance use disorders
- Grief and loss
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Panic disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
The therapists use psychotherapy in most conditions where a change in thinking and behavior is called for.
How long does psychotherapy last?
There’s no blanket answer to this question as each person is different. The therapists at the Soho Center for Mental Health Counseling & Clinical Supervision tailor a psychotherapy program to each of their patients and work diligently until a resolution is found. This may take a series of 12 or more psychotherapy sessions. However many sessions, the clinicians work with you until you feel comfortable making your way through the world again.
To explore the world of psychotherapy further, call the office or request a consultation using the online scheduling tool.
Couples Counselingmore info
Family Therapymore info
Mental Healthmore info
Self Esteemmore info
Eating Disordersmore info
Anger Managementmore info
Grief & Lossmore info
Substance Abusemore info
Sexual Abusemore info
Bipolar Disordermore info
Cognitive Therapymore info
Divorce Mediationmore info